[OpenAFS] Problem configuring server on Windows 2000

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Fri, 07 Feb 2003 09:58:24 -0500

Ken,

Just based on my own personal experience it is my opinion that running an
AFS server on the Windows platform isn't a good idea (and I'm the Windows
guy in my IT shop).  I believe the server software was originally ported by
Transarc for NT 4.0 Server.  Running it on Win2k is where I've seen problems.

When Transarc/IBM opened the source for AFS and the OpenAFS group was
formed, I don't think the server part of the software has been maintained
(if at all), and there's very few (if any) OpenAFS'ers that know anything
about the Windows server source code.  You'll get much more help (lots), if
you try and run a server on Linux (or prefered, Solaris) since most of the
OpenAFS'ers are Linux/UNIX buffs.  I don't know of anyone who runs Windows
AFS servers.

I had the same problem when I tried it just for kicks.  I don't think you
are going to be able to get it to work, but if you do I would be interested
what the fix is, just for curiosity.  If you have money, maybe you can
contact Sine Momine for AFS consulting.  See...

http://www.sinenomine.net/afs.php

I've been told that they are the only source for true (using cash) AFS
support now.  That is unless you want to use the Transarc AFS product,
which is already declared dead, but they will service you for a large
enough fee.

Rodney

Rodney M. Dyer
x86 Systems Programmer
College of Engineering Computing Services
Email rmdyer@uncc.edu
Phone (704)687-3518
Help Desk Line (704)687-3150
FAX (704)687-2352