[OpenAFS] Re: Website files in AFS

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:14:29 -0800

Cees de Groot <cg@tric.nl> writes:
> Russ Allbery  <rra@stanford.edu> said:

>> k5start still has some nice abilities to run as a daemon, though (we
>> generally run it under djb's supervise).

> A solution I've been happy with for the last year or so is to start a
> new supervise in a PAG. That supervise points to a directory that has
> two service definitions: one that does kinit/sleep, and the other one
> being apache (with the necessary hacks to keep the thing in the
> foreground). The primary supervise keeps the secondary one running, and
> the secondary supervise makes sure that reauthentication is kept alive
> and that apache stays running. The overhead of an extra supervise seems
> to be negligible.

Yeah, this would work pretty well.  I've just not felt like going down the
path of hacking Apache to run properly under supervise, so we still mostly
run Apache outside of a PAG as its own user.

That does have the drawback of requiring some care in starting Apache
manually (we generally do so with "at now", which will start it outside of
a PAG for us).